Skip to main content

Ups and Downs!

So yesterday was filled with just a few wedding ups and downs.

The biggest downer: my fiance and I both drove all the way out to the hotel where we're getting married (JW Marriott in Summerlin) to meet our "day-of" wedding coordinator and finalize our wedding timeline. The only problem? Our day-of wedding coordinator neglected to inform us that her office wasn't at the JW Marriott (where we first met her and where she would be coordinating, so, a natural assumption). Instead of getting to meet with her in person, we ended up doing the entire discussion over the phone from the Marriott lobby, leading both my fiance and I to wonder why a face-to-face meeting was scheduled in the first place. It felt like we'd wasted our gas and our time.

I kept it together during the phone call, but afterwards more than a little pent up frustration and tears were released in the parking lot of the Marriott. It wasn't just about one missed communication. It was all the wedding tasks piled on top of all the real world situations after a very busy and emotional week (it had only been a week and a day since the Las Vegas shooting, six days since the funeral of my fiance's grandmother, not to mention the fact that we both had work and other responsibilities balancing through it all). We talked it out until we both felt better and began the drive home, ultimately deciding to pick up pizza and indulge in dessert-first snow cones to improve the evening.

But the biggest "up" of the night was both figuratively and literally uplifting! Later that evening, my fiance's sister gave us our first dance lesson for our "first dance"!

Let me start by saying my fiance's sister is amazing! As a choreographer, graceful dancer, and even music editor, she impressed me over and over again as she kindly and patiently helped us with the first few moves we had to learn--including a very small lift off the stage where, yes, I am briefly airborne!

While my lack of coordination caused most of the errors, we managed to get a routine together for the first half of the song (more steps to learn next week). My fiance chided me for my mistakes (who knew he would be the better dancer of the two of us?), but despite the struggle of trying to learn something completely outside either of our experiences, I found the dance practice therapeutic. Holding each other, relying on each other--what better metaphor for marriage is there? Bonus points for giving us a good workout when I didn't have time to go to the gym.

But my favorite part of the whole dance was seeing my fiance stare back at me, eyes confident and loving, ready to take this on together. Even if it was going to be a lot of work. His face told me, "We got this. I got you. I love you. I swear."

I'm not even sick of our song choice yet. And we must have replayed it at least 50 times to practice.

Looking forward to more dancing, more practice, and more "ups" than "downs" in our future!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Say Yes to the Dress!

Of course I chose my wedding dress months ago. I had to, considering how long they typically take to come in. I wanted to plan a wedding in six months. That's apparently "last minute" in the wedding dress industry. I'm not even kidding--most wedding books and websites recommend purchasing the gown "nine months or earlier." As luck would have it, I received a call yesterday that my dress, ordered June 29 (just 17 days after I got engaged) had arrived! That still gives me two and a half months to get it fitted and finalized. The road to get here was a fun one (yay, playing dress up!), but certainly not an easy path. I think I may have even dodged a train wreck along the way: It started out with my initial dress shopping. Almost immediately after I got engaged in June I started visiting the local bridal shops I knew (Alfred Angelo and David's Bridal ) to schedule an appointment for trying on dresses. After waiting five years to get engaged, you ca

Mani-Pedi Ready

The wedding is officially SEVEN days away. That means that in one week (give or take a few hours), I will be a "Mrs." Exciting! Scary! Both! But in order to keep the big day from being too scary, I just have to make sure I'm prepared. That means perfecting our first dance choreography ( see next post ) and taking care of any final items that need to be done before the wedding. That means finishing the favors, printing the programs, and nailing my wedding-day nails look. I wish I could take credit for my new French tips, but I don't know the first thing about nail polish. My fiance's mom treated me to a mani-pedi (the second one I've ever had in my life and my first one with gels!) at The Nail Shoppe LV in town. I'm ready for ring shots!

Wedding Videos Part 2

Official video is here ! Well, the 5-minute trailer of our wedding day, which highlights quotes from speeches, big moments (The bouquet! The garter! The cake cutting!), all the wedding party, and lots of dancing. Especially the first dance--I am so happy to have so much of our choreographed first dance captured on film! The full video will be coming later, but this is the part I've really been waiting three months for: a cinema-style film that captures the essence of the day and can be easily viewed and shared online. This is the reason I chose  Lighten Films as my videographer. After seeing what they could do for my sister-in-law's wedding , I had to have them for mine. So now, feel free to enjoy the end result of all the planning, all the friends and family coming together, and a perfect, beautiful highlight of our big wedding day: Stephanie + Jayson \\ Highlight Reel from Lighten Films - 702.266.6226 on Vimeo .