Skip to main content

In Loving Memory....

I was going to post this week about my experiences and challenges with the wedding invitation process, but that post can wait. There are a lot of emotions that you experience with wedding planning--I didn't expect grief to be one of them. Sadly, over the course of just one month, I lost three people from my guest list. Three people who were so important to me that I wanted them to be a part of this day, that I'd sent Save the Date Cards, that I now have to move from the list of invitations to the list for the "In Memoriam" table.

On September 16, my Godmother and aunt passed away in South Carolina. She was the one who held me in her arms and baptized me as a baby. I was going to ask her to be a sponsor for our cord/veil/coins ceremony. She was going to stand when the Godparents are asked to stand and be recognized. I was looking forward to seeing her again since she lived so far away, looking forward to hearing her laugh.

On September 24, my dear friend who called me her "Adopted Daughter" passed away from cancer. She loved how much I helped her in middle school when I was the library aid and she was the school librarian. We used to send each other Christmas cards every year. She gave me a special leather journal for my high school graduation. She was one of the reasons I became a librarian in the first place.

On September 26, dear fiancé's grandmother passed away at the age of 92. Not only was this a difficult loss for his entire family where she was truly the matriarch, but my fiancé had taken care of her once a week on Fridays for over six years. I would often visit her those evenings to spend time with my fiance and see how she was doing. I saw her every Sunday too when we went to his aunt's house for brunch.

It is hard enough to lose people you love, but it becomes even more difficult and just plain sad when you love, and miss, and regret. "If only I'd visited one more time." "If only I'd taken more pictures." "If only we'd picked a wedding date that was a little sooner." Six months isn't a very long engagement to begin with, but sometimes it's just a little too long. It's an awful feeling to think that these loved ones won't be at our wedding, but then I just have to remind myself that they will be there in spirit. That they aren't suffering. That just because they won't be at the wedding doesn't mean they weren't there for other milestones. They were there when they could be, and they loved us, and that's what matters.

Miss you all.

Top: Mrs. Absher
Middle: Aunt Josie baptizing me
Bottom: Grandma Fausta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mani-Pedi Ready

The wedding is officially SEVEN days away. That means that in one week (give or take a few hours), I will be a "Mrs." Exciting! Scary! Both! But in order to keep the big day from being too scary, I just have to make sure I'm prepared. That means perfecting our first dance choreography ( see next post ) and taking care of any final items that need to be done before the wedding. That means finishing the favors, printing the programs, and nailing my wedding-day nails look. I wish I could take credit for my new French tips, but I don't know the first thing about nail polish. My fiance's mom treated me to a mani-pedi (the second one I've ever had in my life and my first one with gels!) at The Nail Shoppe LV in town. I'm ready for ring shots!

Coming Together

I've been excited. I've been scared. I've been a bride to be...but not for long! It's really, truly all coming together now (as it hopefully should with just one full day left to go!). There have been stressful moments, mostly brought about by overworrying--about the weather, about our first dance, and about trying to make sure everyone is happy. But in the end, we have tried our best and done all we can. No matter what happens, it will be beautiful because it will be ours. And now that we are so close to the big day, I'm starting to reach more mellow points where the wedding preparation is fun again too. Giving presents (and receiving presents!). Finishing up the final DIY decor. Seeing the groomsmen in their snazzy black and gold tuxes. Writing the final drafts of our speeches and remembering why we love each other. It's important to enjoy those moments. Because I won't be a bride to be forever. Tomorrow I become a bride! ...

DIY Invites: Backaches, Glue Dots, and the Hunt for Gold Ribbon

Remind me for the "next" wedding not to do my own invitations. Sure, when I was 13, I was creating amazing graphic designs using Lucida Calligraphy font and clip art from Corel Print and Photo House (I think we had  this 1997 version from HP). Sure, my colleague advised against having our wedding planner do the invitations because she believed I certainly had the skills to design them myself. Sure, I wanted to maintain some control over the project: include my own designs and not pay the $800 that Minted.com was asking for a complete invitation suite that didn't quite match my vision anyway. But dang, it is a lot of work. Since my last post about the wedding process ( Say Yes to The Dress! ) turned into a rather long story about how I avoided a wedding gown fiasco (and because I don't want my blog to sound like one big rant about the stress of wedding planning), I'll try to keep this one short and sweet. The good: Stickers! There's something almost th...