Skip to main content

Crafty Little Things



Today I was asked if any of my wedding was going to be DIY (Do it Yourself crafts) or if I was hiring a professional. I answered that it would be a little of both! While I absolutely love the crafting process (as evidenced by my engagement photo shoot preparations), I can also freak out when things don't go just quite perfectly (see my "controlled chaos" post). So, to feel like I was still involved in the design process but also to relieve myself of some of the stress, I decided that a mix of DIY and funds well spent on pre-made designs seemed like the best way to go.

DIY invitation preview!

If I was a little bit less of a perfectionist, and a little more patient, I might do more DIY. Because stores like Michael's and JOANN are a little slice of paradise to me. Seriously, I once walked in to Michael's with the intention of buying one specific thing. Literally the instant I walked through the doors I was distracted by a cute display and forgot what the heck I was doing there (I had to stop and blink a few times until it came back to me). I have taken cake decorating classes at JOANN, gone through a scrapbook phase, attempted plastic canvas crafts, and had an absolute blast when I worked in the public library children's department because every story time ended with a craft activity that I also got to make (and keep) myself.

Fairy furniture I made for a library program in 2009. Yes, I still use it for my dolls. Wouldn't you?

DIY is fun. If you're crafting for fun. If you don't have a deadline. Trust me, you don't want to see the mother-daughter duos walking through Hobby Lobby screaming at each other because the girl's science fair poster is due in two days.

Luckily, my mom and I are never a screaming pair, especially not when we're out shopping together. As with the registry, hunting down crafty wedding items was an experience in shopping fun. Just check out our pictures!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mani-Pedi Ready

The wedding is officially SEVEN days away. That means that in one week (give or take a few hours), I will be a "Mrs." Exciting! Scary! Both! But in order to keep the big day from being too scary, I just have to make sure I'm prepared. That means perfecting our first dance choreography ( see next post ) and taking care of any final items that need to be done before the wedding. That means finishing the favors, printing the programs, and nailing my wedding-day nails look. I wish I could take credit for my new French tips, but I don't know the first thing about nail polish. My fiance's mom treated me to a mani-pedi (the second one I've ever had in my life and my first one with gels!) at The Nail Shoppe LV in town. I'm ready for ring shots!

Coming Together

I've been excited. I've been scared. I've been a bride to be...but not for long! It's really, truly all coming together now (as it hopefully should with just one full day left to go!). There have been stressful moments, mostly brought about by overworrying--about the weather, about our first dance, and about trying to make sure everyone is happy. But in the end, we have tried our best and done all we can. No matter what happens, it will be beautiful because it will be ours. And now that we are so close to the big day, I'm starting to reach more mellow points where the wedding preparation is fun again too. Giving presents (and receiving presents!). Finishing up the final DIY decor. Seeing the groomsmen in their snazzy black and gold tuxes. Writing the final drafts of our speeches and remembering why we love each other. It's important to enjoy those moments. Because I won't be a bride to be forever. Tomorrow I become a bride! ...

DIY Invites: Backaches, Glue Dots, and the Hunt for Gold Ribbon

Remind me for the "next" wedding not to do my own invitations. Sure, when I was 13, I was creating amazing graphic designs using Lucida Calligraphy font and clip art from Corel Print and Photo House (I think we had  this 1997 version from HP). Sure, my colleague advised against having our wedding planner do the invitations because she believed I certainly had the skills to design them myself. Sure, I wanted to maintain some control over the project: include my own designs and not pay the $800 that Minted.com was asking for a complete invitation suite that didn't quite match my vision anyway. But dang, it is a lot of work. Since my last post about the wedding process ( Say Yes to The Dress! ) turned into a rather long story about how I avoided a wedding gown fiasco (and because I don't want my blog to sound like one big rant about the stress of wedding planning), I'll try to keep this one short and sweet. The good: Stickers! There's something almost th...