Skip to main content

Don't Lose Focus!


My love of photography has been developing for a long time. 

There was a time I could snap at any moment.

Don't like a good photo pun? It was worth a shot.

But seriously, photography is an important part of my life. I received my first camera when I was seven years old. My crowning achievement that year was taking Van William's portrait (the star of the original Green Hornet) and hearing him compliment my tiny camera and tiny self at a convention with my dad. I was a fan (I'd watched every episode of The Green Hornet reruns my dad played for me), and I was always taking pictures.

My tribute to the fallen Green Hornet: My first camera, merch from the movie remake, and my personalized autograph from Van Williams himself.

In high school I rose up the ranks to President of Photo Club. I developed my own black and white pictures. I carried a digital camera in my purse until cell phones became the cameras. Today I collect vintage cameras and volunteer to take pictures of therapy dogs, even though I rely on automatic settings way too much. I also never shy away from being in a photo that captures a memory.

What I'm getting at is that I did not take my engagement photo shoot lightly.

First, I prepared. I researched photographers thoroughly, marking down a list of 20 photographers in the notebook--people I'd heard of, found online, or were recommended to me. One by one I checked out their style to see if it fit my tastes and vision. Writing a plus sign next to their name meant they were a contender. A minus sign meant they were out. When I got down to three finalists, I contacted them all to see if they would be available on my potential wedding date and find out their pricing.

The winner was Deidra Wilson, a bubbly blonde woman who not only came off as friendly online, but also took pictures that captured natural romance, perfect lighting, and beautiful composition. I told her about my Beauty and the Beast theme and she helped me decide that our engagement photo shoot might be best at the library where my fiance works.

In anticipation of my library engagement photo session, I prepared some more. I collected props. I made signs. I fretted over my terrible cursive lettering and stickers that peeled off on a whim (talk about ready to snap at any moment).




I bought a new blue shirt for my fiance. I whipped out my favorite gold dress (bought at a mall store that closed long ago, sorry). I would be ready. I couldn't wait.

To make a long story short, the photo shoot was everything I'd hoped it would be. Deidra's cheerful attitude made me feel right at home and giggling the whole hour (which makes for great smiley photos). She got in all the poses and ideas I'd sent her, and made sure to adjust lighting and swap lenses to get everything just right.

While I wait to share the final results, Deidra was also kind enough to appease me with a few preview photos, so I can keep sane until everything else is finished being processed. Yes, it's still developing. I can't lose focus. The shot is worth it.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Say Yes to the Dress!

Of course I chose my wedding dress months ago. I had to, considering how long they typically take to come in. I wanted to plan a wedding in six months. That's apparently "last minute" in the wedding dress industry. I'm not even kidding--most wedding books and websites recommend purchasing the gown "nine months or earlier." As luck would have it, I received a call yesterday that my dress, ordered June 29 (just 17 days after I got engaged) had arrived! That still gives me two and a half months to get it fitted and finalized. The road to get here was a fun one (yay, playing dress up!), but certainly not an easy path. I think I may have even dodged a train wreck along the way: It started out with my initial dress shopping. Almost immediately after I got engaged in June I started visiting the local bridal shops I knew (Alfred Angelo and David's Bridal ) to schedule an appointment for trying on dresses. After waiting five years to get engaged, you ca

Mani-Pedi Ready

The wedding is officially SEVEN days away. That means that in one week (give or take a few hours), I will be a "Mrs." Exciting! Scary! Both! But in order to keep the big day from being too scary, I just have to make sure I'm prepared. That means perfecting our first dance choreography ( see next post ) and taking care of any final items that need to be done before the wedding. That means finishing the favors, printing the programs, and nailing my wedding-day nails look. I wish I could take credit for my new French tips, but I don't know the first thing about nail polish. My fiance's mom treated me to a mani-pedi (the second one I've ever had in my life and my first one with gels!) at The Nail Shoppe LV in town. I'm ready for ring shots!

Wedding Videos Part 2

Official video is here ! Well, the 5-minute trailer of our wedding day, which highlights quotes from speeches, big moments (The bouquet! The garter! The cake cutting!), all the wedding party, and lots of dancing. Especially the first dance--I am so happy to have so much of our choreographed first dance captured on film! The full video will be coming later, but this is the part I've really been waiting three months for: a cinema-style film that captures the essence of the day and can be easily viewed and shared online. This is the reason I chose  Lighten Films as my videographer. After seeing what they could do for my sister-in-law's wedding , I had to have them for mine. So now, feel free to enjoy the end result of all the planning, all the friends and family coming together, and a perfect, beautiful highlight of our big wedding day: Stephanie + Jayson \\ Highlight Reel from Lighten Films - 702.266.6226 on Vimeo .